Cosmetic Dentistry in San Jose, CA
What is Tooth Whitening?
Tooth whitening is a cosmetic procedure to whiten and brighten any stains or discolorations present on teeth. Aging or other processes can cause the outer layer of enamel on the patient’s teeth to get exposed over time. This can cause teeth to look darker or discolored. Some stains on teeth are caused by internal factors such as traumatic injuries to teeth or by medication, while others are caused by external factors like eating different foods. There are many ways a patient can leverage to get whiter looking teeth. Some of these methods include over-the-counter whitening treatments, an in-office procedure or the use of lightening trays. The in-office whitening procedure involves the use of a higher percentage of peroxide on the teeth. This makes the tooth whitening procedure more effective than regular procedures.
Why do Patients Undergo Tooth Whitening Procedures?
Here are some of the reasons why a patient would undergo a whitening procedure:
- In case of dull, yellowish or darker teeth.
- Discolorations or stains from tobacco, food, or drink.
- If they wish to have beautiful pearly whites.
What are the Different Types of Tooth Whitening Procedures?
There are two types of whitening procedures based on the types of stains present on the teeth:
- The Intrinsic procedure involves whitening the inner tissue of the patient's tooth. The inner area of the tooth soaks up hydrogen peroxide, which is the whitening gel and it becomes a much lighter shade. This form of whitening cannot be done with the help of whitening toothpaste; it must be done with the help of a gel.
- The Extrinsic procedure is one that tackles stains that are present on the surface of the patient's teeth. Any stains left from food or drink are removed by the dentist. These stains are removed through a professional cleaning procedure and not by bleach.
What are the Different Steps in a Tooth Whitening Procedure?
The procedure for in-office whitening involves dissolving and removing the stains present on the patient's tooth. The whitening is done with the help of a thick paste or whitening gel that is placed on the surface of the patient's teeth. This in-office whitening procedure treats intrinsic stains and those that are extrinsic as well. It is done by using peroxide, which enters the enamel pores and breaks up stains.
What are the Benefits of Tooth Whitening?
Tooth whitening is a good option for people who want to have whiter and brighter teeth. Stains from dark liquids or foods that damage the appearance of the teeth can easily be removed with the help of tooth whitening. The best advantage of whiter and brighter teeth is it enables you to make your smile more welcoming and attractive. It is considered as a safe procedure and does not cause any damage to the patient's tooth enamel.
Dr. Irma Francisco in San Jose provides the best tooth whitening treatment. To get your shiny smile back, please call us at (408) 264-5880 to book an appointment.