Gum Disease Specialist in San Jose, CA
What is Periodontal Infection?
Periodontal infection is a gum disease that occurs in the gums around the patient's teeth. The disease is caused by bacteria, which enters the patient's gum and causes inflammation on this area over time. It can also destroy the bone surrounding the area and lead to tooth loss over time. Some symptoms of periodontal disease include extreme sensitivity to heat or cold, swollen gums, and persistent bad breath, while speaking.
What are the Benefits of a Periodontal Treatment Procedure?
The advantages of gum disease treatment include:
- It helps the patients to have a healthy mouth and to protect their teeth from further damage.
- The procedure prevents bone loss and helps to maintain the patient's smile.
- The patient's gums are clean, healthy, and free from bacterial infection or inflammation.
- The treatment helps in eradicating bad breath caused by plaque or tartar.
- Plaque, tartar, and calculus are removed from the gum in order to prevent inflammation.
What are the Common Procedures to Treat Periodontal Disease?
Patients can be afflicted with periodontal disease due to poor oral hygiene, smoking, genetic factors, and even lack of dental check-ups. Here are some of the treatments for gum disease:
- Soft tissue management is a procedure of treating gum disease that does not involve any surgical procedures. It helps to remove dental plaque and treat periodontal disease with an ultrasonic, antibiotics, and an irrigation system.
- Professional dental cleaning involves a procedure where the dental hygienist removes the buildup of plaque and tartar on the tooth. It also cleans above and below the patient's gum line. The professional dental cleaning method is a very useful preventative measure to protect teeth from the buildup of bacteria.
- Laser gum therapy makes use of a dental laser that removes inflamed gum tissue, calculus, and plaque too. The dentist removes the inflamed gum tissue and then cleans the area below the gum line. This helps to protect teeth and prevent further decay. Laser treatment does not cause swelling, and there is no bleeding during the process. The light beam of the laser acts as a sterilizer and it saves the patient's teeth from bacterial infection.
- Scaling and root planing is the traditional method of treating gum disease. It is a method of deep cleaning the damaged area. The scaling and planing procedure involves cleaning and smoothing the root that lies underneath the patient's gum.
Dr. Irma Francisco is a dentist in San Jose who uses the latest dental technology to treat periodontal disease. To get your gums examined, please call us at 408-264-5880 to book an appointment.