General and Cosmetic Dentist in San Jose, CA
What is General Dentistry?
General Dentistry is a form of dentistry that treats, diagnoses, and prevents oral diseases. It also focuses on the overall health and the dental well being of the patient involved. Dental procedures such as dental fillings, cleanings, root canals, and other preventative procedures come under the scope of general dentistry. General dentistry helps in treating oral problems before they become severe and affect the patient's dental health. This strengthens patient's teeth, prevents tooth decay, and protects the areas surrounding the teeth as well.
What are the Procedures Under General Dentistry?
General Dentistry includes a variety of procedures that are centered on restoring and treating teeth. These include:
- Dental cleaning is a method of maintaining good oral health. The dental hygienist removes plaque and bacteria in areas that are difficult to reach. These routine cleanings are very effective and help in improving the patient's dental health.
- Tooth extraction is a general dentistry procedure to remove teeth that cannot be salvaged. Severely infected teeth, teeth affected by gum disease, or a tooth that is blocking the development of other teeth need to be extracted.
- Fillings are required in cases where the patient has a cavity. Composite fillings and amalgam fillings are the most common kinds of fillings that are used to fill up damaged portions of the teeth. This procedure protects the patient from the pain of tooth decay.
- Oral Cancer Screening is a general dentistry practice used to detect early signs of cancer. It is a swift and painless process that can be done during regular dental-checkups. People who use tobacco, who smoke, or consume alcohol regularly, can be at high risk for oral cancer.
- A root canal treatment is a method of saving a tooth that has been infected by a deep cavity. In this process, the dentist removes the decayed dental pulp and saves the tooth from further damage.
- A dental sealant is a wonderful method to protect the patient's teeth from wear and tear. A dental sealant is a thin plastic coating that is used on teeth and is painless.
What is the Difference between General Dentistry and Cosmetic Dentistry?
The practice of general dentistry revolves around procedures that repair teeth and restore them back to normal. A general dentist treats, repairs, and improves the patient's teeth to achieve an aesthetically pleasing appearance. A cosmetic dentist enhances the patient's dental appearance to give them a beautiful looking smile. Procedures such as veneers, implants, tooth whitening, and Invisalign braces are included under the cosmetic procedures that are available to people. If you have cavities or problematic toothaches and wish to have good oral hygiene, a general dentistry procedure will be a good option.
General dentistry enables patients to maintain a good oral hygiene and prevent any complications later. It is safe, efficient, and does not involve any intensive surgeries
Dr. Irma Francisco is a general dentist who helps her patients get a perfect smile. To book an appointment with her, please call our San Jose office at (408) 264-5880.