Cosmetic Dentist in San Jose, CA
What are Dental Veneers?
Dental Veneers are thin porcelain materials that are placed on damaged, stained, decayed, or crooked teeth. Veneers are put in place with the goal of improving the appearance of the patient's teeth. A patient with uneven, oddly shaped and crooked teeth can take the help of dental veneers in order to have smoother and healthy looking teeth. Veneers are useful because they last much longer than conventional dental prosthetics and have a higher resistance to staining. Veneers are custom made for the patient and they last for a long period of time without requiring regular replacements.
Why should you Consider Dental Veneers?
Some of the most common reasons why patients wish to get dental veneers are:
- To cover up teeth stains or discolorations. Teeth can lose color due to accidents, excessive fluoride, or other causes. Therefore it is necessary to restore teeth to their natural look.
- To improve the appearance and shape of the teeth that are damaged or cracked. Veneers can even cover up the wear and tear of teeth due to grinding, erosion, or aging.
- To make one's smile more aligned and smooth by filling in gaps and treating other undesirable problems. The gaps between teeth are called diastemas and can cause other teeth in their proximity to shift out of position. Therefore, veneers combat this effect.
- To have whiter and brighter teeth without having to undergo a bleaching procedure that could affect the patient's sensitive teeth.
- To find a dental prosthetic that will blend in with the teeth and not affect the patient's appearance.
What are the Steps Involved in a Dental Veneer Procedure?
The procedure for dental veneers is made up of three phases, which include the diagnosis, treatment, and bonding. The process of diagnosis allows the dentist to decide how the bonding process will proceed. During the tooth preparation visit, the dentist removes a small part of the patient's tooth. This is necessary before bonding the veneer to the tooth. The dental veneer is matched closely to the color of the patient's tooth and it is bonded with the help of special cement. The cement is then hardened with the help of a light so that the veneer is successfully and firmly bonded to the patient's tooth.
What are the Different Types of Dental Veneers that are Available to Patients?
- Porcelain veneers are dental prosthetics that are closely matched to the color of the patient's teeth. They are strong and very durable.
- On the other hand, composite veneers are those that are made from the same materials as dental fillings. The most popular veneer option is composite veneers, which are made to look exactly like the patient's teeth. They are used in minor cases of tooth damage.
- Instant veneers are pre-made veneers that are fitted onto teeth. They do not require as much time to be placed as regular veneers do, and therefore they are cheaper than other dental veneers.
- Removable veneers are a mix of porcelain and instant veneers. They can be removed at any time depending upon the patient.
- The last type is the cosmetic veneer. It has a thin shell and it gives off a very natural looking appearance.
Dr. Irma Francisco is a cosmetic dentist in San Jose who uses modern dental technology and helps you find the best dental veneers. To book an appointment with Dr. Irma, please call us at 408-264-5880.